17 February 2010

Heartfelt Valentine's Day

For years I have listened to my pastor speak about God's purpose for this generation and heard his heart for the lost, lonely, and disconnected youth of our city. I must admit that as much as I have supported and been a part of this church since it's inception, I have felt a bit disconnected from this passion for people in our city because I have been so focused on Indonesia. I know that God's heart is for Redding and Indonesia and that in some way I was limiting him by not reaching out in my own community. Tonight as I was hurrying home I saw people walking on the side walk as I drove past. I surprised myself by realizing that my normal response is actually pretty judgemental. I think about all the resources that are available to people and the choices that people make to stay in poverty. Then something strange and wonderful happened. I felt for one instant the reality of the brokenness of the lost of our city. It was only a moment but it was powerful. It is those moments when the head knowledge moves to your heart and you can begin to see and feel a change in your spirit. These are the moments that I live for.

This has not been a very exciting Valentine's Day, but it was memorable. This year it was not about hearts and chocolate and flowers and kisses, but about true love. About knowing God's love for me and for this world... and every person in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment